Monday, March 9, 2009

Prep for Drift 1 and Custom Windscreen Build

In prep for my drift soundwalk, I gathered and organized all my materials and equipment. The film bag we received didn't fit all the items I wanted to bring with me, so I dug up my old Mac computer bag. It was perfect. Everything fits in it with room to spare, so I added some fabric for extra cushioning protection. The added color made the bag look pretty slick too - nice presentation. All set.


Before departing, I decided to test my microphones around my apartment. I wanted to make sure I felt comfortable handling and recording with the equipment before taking it out on my walk. Right away I realized the windscreens on my microphones were not going to work for me.

First off, it took a lot of prep time to get the fabric/felt wrapped just right around the mic and then to tape into place. It did not feel secure enough no matter how tightly I taped it. Always needed adjustments.

Secondly, I didn't want the windscreen on for every single recording. Thus the on & off process became pretty tedious (especially with previously stated prep time of wrapping perfectly).

What to do?

With a little bit of cutting, sewing and wrapping - I made my own windscreens:

















I think they turned out great! Now I have a quicker assembly (easy off & on) of my microphone windscreens that fit snug & secure. I'm ready to go!

Note: You can click on any image above to see a view a larger version.



No comments:

Post a Comment